Wondering what that red band is doing on around my wrist? No I wasn't at a fair, or an adventure park, or anywhere that people enjoy going. I came home from work with that sucker. Why??
I poked myself with a needle after poking into my patient's belly. How? I don't know. If I knew it wouldn't have happened now would it? All I know is that one second the needle was nicely nestled in my patient's subcutaneous tissue and the next second it was deeply stuck in my index finger. Oh joy!
I have given many subcutaneous injections. Many. It's rare that a patient of mine doesn't need at least one over the course of the shift. This particular patient required seven over the course of the night. Something happened while I was pulling up (or about to pull up?) the safety cap of the needle and it ended up stuck in my finger. Woops.
So, I became a patient at the hospital I work at. While I was working. I spent three hours in emergency just like everybody else so this lovely little lab tech could come take my blood and then the doctor could tell me the risk of getting HIV and Hepatitis. I'll need to go back for more blood tests in 3, 6, and 9 months. Too bad I will be somewhere in South America (or Africa) in nine months!
The patient was thankfully considered low risk -- no drug use, promiscuity, or known (...admitted??) issues. I should be fine.
My patient cried when he/she realized I had poked myself. And apologized profusely for an hour after I returned from my blood donation. They also called me back at 0700 when I was about to go off shift to give me a big hug and thank me for being such a great nurse. It was very sweet.
So for now I wait and worry none. Well, I am dreading my next blood test. I hate needles.
4 comments:
Oh no! What a bummer. I wonder how often this happens in general?
first off, south america or africa?! sounds so exciting!!!
and yes, unfortunately those needlesticks happen. brutal and not fun! hope everything is negative for you! (likely will be :)).
and woah, 7 or 8 sc in a shift?? i can't remember, does KGH use subcu butterflies?
Shawna, I have no idea how often it happens.
And Laur, yeah we use sc butterflies, but this lady prefers injections. And they're the usual -- heparin, insulin, octreotide.
oh yeah i guess it adds up quick when you've got insulin and heparin! haha. here i was thinking analgesia breakthroughs and such. haha. makes total sense!
Post a Comment