Hello Mondains.
Have I ever told you about the time my mind blew up? It was October 30th 2010 and I was at the Paramount Theater in Seattle. Sufjan Stevens had just released his newest album Age of Adz. I am so glad I listened to the album a few times before going to the concert because I may have walked out if I didn't know a little bit of what was coming.
The Age of Adz is based on three things: 1. A schizophrenic artist named Royal Robertson. 2. Sufjan's own self proclaimed battle with mental health. 3. Sound. As much as possible, as bizarre as possible. There is nothing about this album that is comfortable and yet somehow it came together to make an amazing album.
Sufjan constructed the concert tour to very much represent the album. It is completely visceral; it holds no real form, it has no plot or setting, no story or narrative. It is completely worked from the senses. Sounds, sounds, sounds. Perhaps it's like reading James Joyce; you have no idea where you are or what is happening but it's brilliant. Because of this, my brain burst.
Here is one of my favorite songs from the album live. You may not like it. I had a hard time with it until I realized that everything Sufjan does in it is intentional, even if it doesn't sound nice. This is Get Real, Get Right by Sufjan Stevens:
In case you are interested here is the video that was playing in the background. It is all art work by Royal Robertson spliced together by Sufjan himself.
If you are completely perplexed here is a link to a video where you can watch Sufjan explain the Age of Adz personally
I really don't know how to explain how good it was but it was the best concert I have ever seen.
Until next time, hold on to your butts.
EO
No comments:
Post a Comment