Bug Spray(K and I are sharing one and then we will buy more there)Bug Repellant LotionSunscreen 40 spfSunscreen 50 spf(sharing this one too - we'll use it for our face)SunglassesCiprofloxacin- Anti-fungal Cream
- Multivitamins
- Fish Oil
- Electrolyte Powder
Towel- Bed Sheet
Travel PillowHand Sanitizer(hope I have enough!)- Antiseptic Wipes
- Mosquito Net (I had to order one in because they were out)
Plastic Bowl and SpoonTravel JournalPen Knife- Ziploc Bags
- Travel Kleenex
- Wet Wipes
- Camera
- Camera Charger
- Extra Memory Card
- Small Mirror
- Pictures of family, friends, home, scenery
Money belt- Tank Tops (5)
- T-shirts (3)
- Sarong
- Swimming Suit
- Long Pants (for the animal reserve)
- Comfortable Sandals
- Runners
- Sports Bra (3)
- Underwear (haven't decided how many)
- Light sleep wear
- Scrubs (3)
- Name Tag
- Plastic Gloves
- Head bands and handkerchief
- Hat
- Shampoo
- Hair Elastics
TamponsPlaytex Wipes- Granola Bars
- Oatmeal
- Peanut Butter
- Water purifying tablets
- Head Lamp
- Flashlight
- Rope
Nailclippers- Batteries
- Tide to go Pen
- Pen/pencil, paper
- Hobbies (knitting maybe?? so hot!)
- Card games and books
- Dutch Blitz
PeptoAfterbiteImmodiumBenadrylIbuprofen, Tylonel- Sennokot
PolysporinBandaidsGravolVisine Eye drops- Q-tips
- Canestan
- Moisturizer Cream
- IV Set
- First Aid Kit
- Needle Stick Kit
- Sewing Kit
- Safety Pins
- Universal sink plug
- String
- Removable hooks to put up mosquito net
- Comfy clothes for the plane
- Rolling suitcase
- Pack
- Skirts (4)
- Socks (6)
- Toothbrush
- Toothpaste
- Photocopies of passport, visa, and ticket (5)
- Laundry detergent
- Metamucil
Aloe Vera
Saturday, January 08, 2011
The List
This is a list of the things I need for Africa, in case you are interested. If you have more suggestions let me know! Especially those of you who have been to or who currently live in Africa. I am so excited to cross things off the list as I acquire, borrow, find or purchase them. Each item brings me one step closer to my trip to Ghana!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Not sure if I missed it on your long list, but I would bring laundry detergent in a zip lock bag/container for washing your clothes in a sink/bucket when necessary
I've been told that laundry detergent is something we can buy there. I will probably pack a small bag just in case.
Not sure if I saw it on the list but after an extreme bout of diarrhea in Kenya(sorry, too much info!), I went far in the opposite direction and some metamucil really saved me! (as a side note: extreme constipation was probably the most discomfort I have ever been in for my entire life)
I am bringing some sennokot, but I will add a bit of metamucil to the list.
Yes, gotta love GI problems. Remember your diet will be soo different so chances are you'll have issues, haha.
Just a few thoughts...
Just to be on the safe side I would bring your own bug spray...you might not need it all, but from what I remember, it's not easy to find there. I covered myself in the lotion and spray at night (but I guess a mosquito net might eliminate that need...I hated the net). And good call on bringing your own sunscreen - it is impossible to find there since they don't use it. I remember asking at all the 'touristy' places, mainly hotels, and no one had it!
Wet wipes are huge - when the water goes off (this happened multiple times a day in Tamale) you will rely on those for your 'shower'. And yes, they will make you feel sticky. Gross. On a side note - the guest house in tamale provides a blue bucket to keep full of water - ensure this is ALWAYS full so that you can at least wash up a little bit even when the water is turned off.
I didn't use my water purifying stuff but taking it would be wise just in case.
I would bring a few bars of soap - (and a container or ziploc to store it in when you're in travel)
Look into an outlet adapter - not sure what kind since I didn't buy the one for our group, but ensure someone in your mini group has one.
Moisturizer cream - I brought a huge aveeno one and it ended up being annoying - you don't need a big one. With all the sweat and suncreen you will feel gross if you use it all the time.
IV set - YES make sure your mini group has one. We had to get an IV on my roommate and load her up with fluids.
Sorry that was long. AHH I'm so excited for you.
Didn't know what sennokot was, but now I know! That's all you need then:)
Idont think I packed a quarter of those things. My recent packing style is to put it all in giant ziploc bags (clothes etc) and than sit on them so its like vaccum packing. It creates a lot more space and is easy to find things since its all separated into bags.... Oh, I also got ringworm when I was there so some skin irritation cream is always good, especially for mosquito bits etc....
Thats all I got. Oh, and I always bring my pillow from home wherever I go but its a bit of a pain to carry, but great on flights, bus rides etc..
Im so excited for you! Love ya
Do you have aloe vera on the list? No matter how much sunscreen you use, you're bound to get burned at some point! Unless you're the the type that doesn't burn. But even still, this is Africa. :)
oh, and HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY, ASHLEY!!!!
Yes! I do have Aloe Vera! I forgot to put it on the list though.
Post a Comment