Yesterday, after much humming and hawing, I accepted a permanent full time position.
Before you get too excited I'll let you know that I will probably be displaced. The hospital is opening a new tower in the near future and there will be less beds (progress??) and some floors are being restructured so many nurses will be displaced. Displaced nurses will then be able to pick the job of anyone with less seniority than themselves. This bumping goes on and on until someone has nobody lower than them. Since I have zero seniority, I will most likely be the last bumped and be out of my full-time line.
This isn't the worst thing -- I have been getting enough hours as a casual. I think I will enjoy having a set schedule and being able to plan a little big of my life. I'll just have to wait and see what happens. For now my position starts April 1.
Permanent Full Time. Gah!
4 comments:
woohooo :) Congrats ash! :)
:) Congratulations! You're definitely "putting in your time". It will be nice when this is all a look back vs. present reality.
I remember the first several years after graduating as very confusing times. I always felt like I entitled to a few weeks off around Christmas. Worklife felt like an endless drugery compared to the excitement and ever-changing landscape of school. And I liked my job!
Congrats! That's great! Enjoy the predictability of having a set schedule for as long as it lasts. :) Maybe we can see you more?!
Congrats ash! Let us know how you like it. And yes the joy of bumping...it went on on my unit for a LONG time. oh and you'll be glad you have a line when it comes to the likely strike we'll have when they'll go down to essential services and casuals probably won't get much work. i'm SO anti-strike and will be voting no, but the only thing i'd LOVE to see is our managers and PCCs being put in the role of ward nurse. bah. ha. ha. ha. ha.
enjoy having a schedule - it's certainly SO nice to be able to plan your life! i hope you like the PFT! i've turned down four FT lines since september. can't bring myself to be strapped down to a schedule like that and all the NIGHT SHIFTS kill me. i love my temp PT and picking up when i want.
Post a Comment