Thursday, January 26, 2012

big sister sawy

Well, muffins are baked, dishes are done, and all of my little charges are asleep in their beds (including the mama) so I have some time to write. Funny how I now have nothing to say...
Sawyer Dawn adores her baby brother. She loves him. Like l.o.v.e.s. him. He is the first thing she asks for when she wakes up in the morning, and throughout the day she can be found in search of the baby. She is full of hugs and kisses for Kaden and even pats his bum while he lies on his tummy on the floor. Seriously she is so good with him! Her absolute favourite thing, however, is when we let her hold him. She often sits in the corner of the couch and asks for Kaden. She can be bouncing off the walls and jumping up and down, but the instant she has Kaden in her arms this little girl becomes so gentle. She sits so contently when she is holding the baby. She plays with his tiny baby hands and waves "bye-bye" with them, she showers him with kisses, and she grins from ear to ear, but she is so gentle and so still. It is adorable.
This morning I was thinking about how newborn babies force you to slow down. You know what I mean? Everything is done at a soothing pace and you can't help but speak in a hushed tone. There are regular pauses throughout the day as the baby needs to be swaddled or snuggled back to sleep. You sit, mesmerized, watching the little one flail his/her limbs, listening to them grunt and squeak, smelling their baby goodness. You find yourself swaying ever-so-slightly even when the little one isn't in your arms.

I find that we are all in a bit of a fog here -- I think that comes with a newborn too. I don't know if it is lack of sleep or newborn intoxication (it's probably a combination of both) but it feels wonderful. I don't know how many times I have peaked at the clock only to realize the day is passing much quicker than I thought. These first few weeks are full of so many changes and I am trying to savor every one of them, but they seem to be passing so quickly! Isn't that the way it always goes?

Life is good.

4 comments:

a. borealis said...

That pretty much sums it up! The only thing missing, at least for me, is the confusion. It is a strange thing to feel mixed in there, but that transition no matter if it is your first, second, or third, involves a bit of confusion and bewilderment. Kinda sad, actually.

Those pics of Sawy and Kad look like a baby holding a baby. :) Good thing he's so small!

How's Mandi?

a. borealis said...

And I can't believe she calms down so beautifully when holding him! That is amazing. How long does the attention span last like that? Wow.

Ashley said...

ummm... she will sit and hold Kaden for anywhere from 2-5 minutes. Then she becomes disinterested and lets his head slide. She is learning to wait for one of us to take him away from her before she bolts.

syl said...

Ashley, your photos, thoughts and reflections are so wonderful! You have such a gift for capturing beautiful moments...for savouring the beautiful,the ordinary but most special moments! You are a blessing to Mandi and those little ones!!