Our neighbours had a baby a couple weeks ago. They're approaching the two week lull when people stop bringing meals and visiting. Most people have already oogled at the baby and have now forgotten the mama who's at home with three kids under two (they have twins) as papa is starting back at work.
I'm planning on making them some meals tomorrow as I have the day off work. the problem is... I don't know what to make them! The only things that come to mind are many variations of pasta, casseroles, and/or slow cooker meals. That is probably what they have been living on for the past two weeks! Any good ideas???
We don't know these neighbours very well. In fact, we hardly know them at all. We stop and chat in the street and we wave when we see each other through our living room windows, but we have never had them over for coffee. We are planning on getting together tonight once their kids are in bed... if things slow down for them. I've talked to the husband a couple times recently and he has said it has been hard on his wife so I have offered to give her a hand whenever she needs it. We live in our front room so they can always see if we are home so I gave them my number and she knows she can call anytime. We decided that we'd better get to know each other a little bit so the mama feels a bit more comfortable calling me.
I ran this little vest over to them a couple days ago. I altered the pattern I had used before so I didn't need to get seven buttons. It was easy peasy once I realized I was being a bit of a dud on my first attempt. This is such a quick knit! It may be my "go to" for baby showers. At least for little boys. I think it's adorable. I just need to figure out how to make the vest for bigger babies... it's pretty much newborn size. Tiny.
I'm going to need to peruse ravelry again because I need to find a new pattern! My goal is to try a new pattern every month. I also want to make Erik and myself sweaters... we'll see how that goes.

2 comments:
love the vest ash! i don't have any ideas of what to cook... it's tough and 'normal' pastas/casseroles/slow cooker meals are always a safe bet because most people like them! i'm big on cooking unique and different things and trying new recipes now (i know, when we lived together i HATED cooking! lol), but its harder when you're making it for someone else.
good luck!
I was so unhelpful when we talked on Monday! Some meals ideas (but I'm probably too late): stir-fry (can be frozen and reheated - just leave the veggies crisp so they don't end up mush...if you include the rice, put it in a dish they can stick in the oven), similarly, fried rice is good and can be frozen, some mexican dishes like homemade burritos (individually wrapped for lunches), or chicken enchiladas are nice, and a little different from the standard pasta. Also hearty soups with buns or biscuits. And really, if you've just had a baby chances are you will be so thankful for any meals, even if it is pasta for the 3rd night in a row. :) I speak from experience -- 7-8 weeks of meals made for us by others. :)
Post a Comment