Saturday, October 08, 2011

At the Cabin

I loved being at the cabin. We were there for only 24 hours, but it was so refreshing. I loved being secluded. I loved the peace, calm, and serenity that only the-middle-of-nowhere can provide. I loved being holed up with my friends in a teeny cabin away from the stresses of the "real world".
We arrived at the cabin at around 12:30pm and hung every article of clothing we had been wearing on the hike up to dry. Erik had thankfully run along ahead to start a fire for us. We then had a group nap up in the loft because we were all pretty tired. It was pouring rain when we got to the cabin so we just stayed inside by the fire playing cards at the table. 
It cleared up a bit while we were making dinner so we started a fire outside to cook the ribs on. The umbrella came in handy while we were making the fire as it provided enough shelter to keep our kindling dry enough to light easily and quickly. We also made pachos with cheese and chives. That was Kevin's request, ribs and pachos for his birthday dinner. 
After having a wonderful candlelit dinner we sat around the table while Rhett read aloud to us. I have no idea what book he was reading from and I had no idea what was going on in the story, but it didn't matter. I absolutely love being read to; I find that I get lost in the sounds of words. I especially love being read to by men (particularly my husband or my father). Deep male voices are soothing and I have noticed that they get a bit husky and deeper when they've been reading for a while. It's almost as though they are relaxing into the story. It is so comforting and makes me feel safe for some reason. Couple that with fire, candles, and my hubby snuggled up beside me -- perfect.
We ended the evening hanging around the fire outside. We meant to have smores with nutella but we ended up just sitting together enjoying the warmth of the fire. Actually, Mandi had a couple marshmellows, but they didn't make it into smores. 
We were in bed by 8:30pm. In the perfect world I would go to bed at 8:30pm every single night. I love going to bed early!!  I slept horribly because I felt as though I was going to vomit ribs up all night long -- I think that may have had to do with my tendency to over-eat. We slept with all the windows open and at some point the fire died so I snuggled in close to Erik. 
We had a delicious breakfast of hashbrowns, leftover ribs, chives, cheese, and egg scramble and Mandi also made french toast. And we had banana-blueberry bread. So so so so so so so so so yummy. After breakfast we cleaned the little cabin, cleaned the outhouse, chopped some more wood and kindling for the next visitors and headed on home. 
It took two hours to make our way up the mountain, but we managed to get down in just over one. It was truly a splendid weekend.

No comments: